Happy Monday loves. I’m back today with part two of the painted floor saga. I had every intention of having this post up and published on Saturday, but Naomi had another idea. She told me I had to clock out. It was really hard to do, but I did because I live by the motto Happy Wife, Happy Life, and around here that’s times two! I didn’t do a single DIY project, or anything interior design related all weekend. I felt like I was having withdrawals!
In part one we left off with the floors painted and ready for stenciling. When it came time to choose my stencil I knew I wanted either something really intricate with a ton of detailing or something geometric. I was leaning more toward the former to help soften the kitchen up a bit and add a more delicate element to the room The design choices we’d made thus far satisfied Naomi’s love of modern spaces, so I decided to use the floor as an opportunity to bring in a detail to help it feel a bit more eclectic.
I was so excited to get the opportunity to work with Royal Design Studios for this project. I’m a complete stencil newbie and had never stenciled anything before so I knew Royal Design Studios wasn’t only going to be a good place for a quality stencil, but would also be a great place for how-tos and tips to help me get the project done right.
I fell in love with the Lisboa Tile Stencil and decided it would be perfect. I loved all the detailing and its super large size.
For the stenciling portion I used some Sherwin Williams Porch and Floor that I already had on hand from a previous project. I also had a flocked roller that a painter friend of mine gave me a while ago. I actually had no idea what it was when he first gave it to me. I thought it was velvet!
Coincidentally enough, flocked rollers are recommended by Royal Design Studio for stenciling. Who knew?!
I decided my starting point should be in the middle of the doorway leading into the kitchen so I started there
When I first received the stencil I was looking for the registration marks that help you line the stencil up perfectly to continue the pattern. I thought the stencil would literally have “registration mark” labeled on it. It didn’t. You just simply overlap the design at a certain point and keep going. Don’t judge!
The stenciling process was actually quite easy, but I ran into a couple issues. The first issue was with the roller head. I didn’t account for the fact that the floors had a bit of texture to them when I opted for the flocked roller. I found it difficult to easily get into grooves of the floor with it because its really meant for smooth surfaces and it was taking 4 passes to get the job done. After working for a couple hours the first night, I went the next day and picked up a roller head that was a bit more “grippy”
I was able to move much more quickly and cover more ground faster.
The second issue I ran into was paint build up. Major freakin headache. I didn’t even consider this when I first started. Major freakin mistake. Even though I limited the amount of paint on the roller and kept it pretty empty I got so much build up on the stencil I ended up having to spend 2 hours peeling it off.
Once I started back up I kept a damp towel with me and wiped the stencil clean after laying down the pattern two times. It added more time to the process but it still saved me more time that if I would have had to stop, soak the stencil, and peel it again.
After about 8 hours of stenciling I was done and ready to put on my poly coat.
As I mentioned before, this was a huge mistake. Do as I say not as I did and go with a water based only poly. After letting the floor dry for a few hours I laid down the poly